Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How to Earn Money Online - Terminology, Part 3


Yes, part 3. That is how many "out of the ordinary" terms there are for the make money from home and internet marketing business. These articles are written for the novice internet marketers.

Keep in mind; this is my definition of terms, not an official definition from any dictionary. I am also making this brief, as many of these terms require their own articles.

This article will mainly focus on blogging. What a name. I'm not sure if Webster has picked this up as a word yet, but if they haven't, it's just a matter of time.

When I first started out trying to make money online, there were a handful of things I had my mind set that I would not do. Having a blog was one of them. For some reason, it was intimidating to me and it also meant I had to be social and talk to people. As all things evolve, I decided that I needed to start a blog. It is simple. In hindsight, I could kick myself.

With creating my blog came a whole new list of terminology. So, let's get to it.

Blog: Blog is a combination of the words Web and Log. It's also referred to as an "online journal" or "chronicle of information". The owner or publisher of the blog makes posts and you as the reader, can make comments. In other words, it is interactive. A blog is also a common way for internet marketers to sell information or products; either their own or as an affiliate marketer. There are many types of blogs; personal, business, political, etc.

Blogger: Someone who blogs.

Blog Post: A blog post can be made by the owner or publisher of a blog or by a person posting a comment to someone else's blog post.

Blog Syndication: Some blogs have an RSS Feed (see terminology, part 2 article.) The Feeds picks up the updated content and distributes it to the individuals that subscribe to that particular Feed and to the Search Engines.

Ping: No, this is not golf equipment. Pings let the search engines know that your blog has been updated. There are several services out there that will "ping" your blog when you update or add new content. You can also add a widget (widget's are coming up) to your blog that will control the pings automatically.

WordPress: WordPress is a software publishing platform for blogs. Anything and everything a blog can do, they have created. This includes the behind the scenes software to the very creative themes to make your blog's appearance unique.

Plug-Ins: Plug-Ins are tools that make your blog function. There are thousands to choose from. Of course, there are some that are more useful and popular than others. There are many lists available for the standard plug-ins. Blogs have several plug-ins.

Widgets: A widget is a tool that helps you perform a specific task. Examples: Ping widget that knows when to automatically ping, without over-pinging. Opt-in box widget allows you to easily add an opt-in box on your blog. You can add several widgets to your blog.

Weebly: A service that allows you to create a free website or blog.

Squidoo: Very popular site. This is where you go to create a webpage, which is referred to as a "lens." Your lens can be on any subject you wish, within the guidelines and must be approved for publication. This is a free website that receives a tremendous amount of web traffic. It is beneficial with the Search Engines to link your lens to your blog. Many people use their lens to earn an income.

HubPages: Similar to Squidoo. HubPages is also a free service.

There are many other services that allow you to create blogs or webpages. I only commented on the unusually named ones. The ones I listed are referred to frequently and it is nice to have at least a basic understanding.

I hope this information has been useful. I try to keep it light hearted, yet informative. The making money online and internet marketing business can be stressful.

Keep a sense of humor and I will be back with my next article; How To Earn Money Online - Terminology, Part 4. The odd and unusual terms just never end.




This is Jerry Pierce and I have combined blogging with affiliate marketing. Stop by my blogs and share your start up experiences. I would also enjoy hearing any of your funny stories regarding terminology and getting prepared for your making money online business.

[http://www.firepow.me] or [http://www.bloginferno.me]





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment